DIATOMACEOUS EARTH EXHIBITS SOME INTERESTING PROPERTIES:
- When viewed through a microscope, it looks like a hollow cylinder, with holes throughout the side.
- It carries a strong negative charge. If you’ll recall your science lessons, you’ll remember that negatively charged ions are attracted to positively charged ions.
- Therefore, when taken internally, the diatomaceous earth attracts and absorbs positively-charged pathogens into its cylinder – it absorbs the things we want to stay away from, like viruses, pathogenic fungi and bacteria, heavy metals, prescription drug residues, pesticides, parasites, radiation, and the like – and sweeps them out of our bodies.
- Diatomaceous earth is also very hard. On a scale of “hardness”, if diamonds were a 9, diatomaceous earth would be a 7. This helps us too – as this powder makes its way through our digestive tract, it gently “scrubs” the packed-on residue we have there and sweeps it out of our bodies. Nice, diatoms!
- Also, because of this quality, it is very sharp. Organisms such as parasites, lurking in our intestines, are sliced up and killed, and swept away when we empty our bowels, and we are left unharmed.
- The last quality I’ll mention is also powerful: food grade diatomaceous earth is 84% silica, and contains some 20 trace minerals. Did you know life can’t exist without silica? It is essential for the building of healthy bones and teeth, skin, hair, and nails. As our mineral resources are getting depleted, our food is containing less and less silica. Do yourself a favor and add this divine diatom to your diet.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF DIATOMACEOUS EARTH
- Since it sweeps out foreign matter, you will begin to notice better nutrient absorption and less fatigue.
- Studies show that DE can help your body lower cholesterol and high blood pressure. Believe it or not, some users report a 40-60 point drop in blood pressure points after only a month of use.
- The beauty mineral: the silica in DE helps hair and nails grow faster. Since I’ve started taking it, my nails have turned from flimsy to hard as a rock. My hair, which partially fell out earlier this year due to a difficult surgery recovery, has begun filling in nicely. I have read many, many testimonies of people who have reported that it reversed their baldness. The silica also helps reduce wrinkles, age spots, and acne, and it also strengthens teeth and bones, tendons, and joints.
- Metal detoxification: since DE sweeps heavy metals out of the body, this is helpful especially to those with heavy metal poisoning or mercury fillings, which leach mercury constantly into the body. Aluminum is also swept out, lowering the risk for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Helps repair and maintain lung function, acts as a cough decreasing agent
- Helps prevent kidney stones, osteoporosis,
- Decreases vertigo, tinnitus, and insomnia
- Regulates bowel movements, lessens gastrointestinal inflammation, cleans out the colon, treats both diarrhea and constipation. It is a great choice for families on the GAPS diet!
- Treats head lice and fleas (make sure you don’t inhale the powder)
YOU CAN USE “DE” AROUND YOUR HOME AS WELL!
- Sprinkle around windows and entrances to protect from ants, spiders, and even scorpions. (The DE scrapes their exoskeleton and dries it out, leaving them dead.)
- Sprinkle a ring around your garden plants for protection from garden pests. (Do realize, though, that DE kills beneficial insects as well. Avoid applying onto flowers. – Does not harm worms or beneficial soil microorganisms.
- DE will destroy ant colonies, even fire ant colonies. Sprinkle around and in the hole.
- DE can be used to treat a bedbug infestation.
- Sprinkle DE in your garbage bins for odor and pest protection.
- Got a compost heap? Apply DE to keep odors and pests away.
- Add to manure heaps to keep flies and larvae down.
- Add to bulk grains to keep pests and moisture out.
- You can use DE to make your own homemade toothpaste! I have a recipe coming to my blog soon.
- You can add DE to your homemade “DE”odorant – I am also working on a recipe for this.
- You can sprinkle DE in your toilet for a little extra scrubbing power – it won’t harm porcelain.
FYI: if the area where you applied the DE gets wet, such as in the garden, please reapply.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are for educational and entertainment purposes only. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.